Sunday, March 24, 2013

Easter Preparations


Easter Preparations
 
Life has been pretty busy recently but I have found time to decorate a little and to make a few things for sweet Caroline.

This wreath welcomes familly and guests.  The yellow chick was a felt Easter Basket that I found at Michael's.  Debbie wove the ribbon into the pink mesh, to calm it down a bit and also suggested using the green paper Easter "grass."

 

 
These funny bunnies are on the dining room table.
 
Sorry this photo is fuzzy.  This is the tree that we made for daughter Lauren's wedding to Chris.   We hung family wedding pictures on it at the entrance to the reception.  Since then, it has "lived" in my dining room and is decorated for holidays. 
 
These bunnies are at the base of the tree. 
 
The bunnies were entirely handmade.  The embroidery is beautiful and quite detailed.
 

 
My grandmother Cassels pressed glass bowl.  At Easter, she always served potato salad in it.  Now I use it for decorative purposes only.
 
 
And , of course, I have been making a few things for sweet Caroline!
 
 
The first smocking project I have undertaken in about 20 years!  My friend Andy gave me a quick refresher tutorial last week.  Hopefully this will be a dress by Easter morning. 
 
 
Here is a little outfit I made, using Simplicity 4243 as a guide.  I added the flower by making a rick rack stem, machine appliqued leaves and a yoyo flower with stacked buttons for the center.
 
 
Detail of the flower.  Won't rotate for some reason.
 
 
Every little girl needs an Easter basket!  For my own children, I made fabric baskets for their first Easter.  My inspiration for this fabric basket came from www.sew4home.com .  Then I saw the bunny ears on a 2009 entry of disdressed.blogspot.com.  My bunny face is machine stitched with a zigzag stitch.  "Caroline" is machine embroidered on the back side, just above the mohair tail.  I let the  floral lining form a decorative edge around the basket, instead of using rickrack.
 
 
This coming Sunday, 4 generations of our family will gather at my home for Easter dinner.  It will be a special day, with ages ranging from 88 years - my  mother, to granddaughter Caroline, who will be 78 days old on Easter!   
 
Happy Easter!
 
Renny


1 comment:

  1. I love Caroline's basket! I may have to make one for my Genevieve! Why didn't you tell me you started SMOCKING again? I want to learn!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete