Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Russian Tea

 
 
Russian Tea
 
This cinnamon and clove spiced tea is one of my favorite winter recipes.  I have no idea where my mother got this recipe - likely the newspaper but we have had it at least 50 years.  Every year, as soon as cold weather arrived, Mother would make this tasty drink.
 
No instant tea and certainly none of that awful bottled lemon juice here.  Everything is fresh and what a difference it makes!
 
Here is what you will need:
 
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
26 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
 
Simmer the above 4 ingredients in a saucepan for 20-30 minutes.  Keep the pan covered.  I just removed the lid for the photo.
 
 
 
 

Squeeze and strain the juice of 2 oranges and 1 lemon into a large pitcher (I am doubling the recipe so you see more fruit here).
 

 
Brew one quart of tea. 
 
 
Add to the fruit juices.  Strain the spice mixture into the tea and juice mixture, discarding the spices.  Stir and enjoy!
 

 
I almost always double this recipe, keeping it in the refrigerator to warm up one delicious cup at a time.
 

Of course,  you can make a tasty instant mix, using instant tea, Tang and other ingredients
 ( I don't have a recipe for this).
One of my students gave me this cute cupcake container filled with the instant tea mix for Christmas.  I have enjoyed it at home and at school.
 
 
If you haven't tried the brewed tea variety, the fast approaching winter vortex will give you the perfect reason to stir up a batch.
 
Enjoy and stay warm!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment