Saturday, October 12, 2013

Fabric Baskets

 
Fabric Baskets
 
 

It has been 2 months since my last post!  Life has been busy but now it is time to catch up.  Let's see if I can even remember how to do this!!

2013 is shaping up to be an exciting year for our family.  Four new babies in our extended family in 8 months! 

For each of the babies, I am creating a fabric basket, using colors and designs specific to each baby's nursery.  I used a fabric basket design from Sew4Home to get the basic dimensions.   If  you have not visited Sew4Home, you should.  There are patterns and ideas for everything.


 


Pictured above is the Easter basket that I made for my sweet grandbaby Caroline.  Instead of two short side handles that  you will see in the other baskets, I made one long handle, added ears, face, tail and her name.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Pictured above is the basket for my niece who lives in Florida.  It is the most like the original pattern from Sew4Home.  This baby's nursery has an animal theme, with pinks.  It was fun to fill the basket with items for the baby, including some burp cloths that I made.  Wrap in clear cellophane and tie with a fun bow made from fabric scraps for a great presentation!
 
 
 Next was the basket for my nephew and his wife, whose little girl was born  on her Great Uncle David's birthday!  Their nursery has an owl theme, with brown, orange, lime green and turquoise.
 


I designed the owl using their colors and some "happy" fabrics. It is machine appliqued to the chevron basket fabric. 


 
 A print of tiny owls lines the basket.
 

 



Wrapped and ready to go!
 
These baskets are also great for birthdays.  For hostess gifts, make a smaller version and fill with some cute cocktail napkins, some delicious cheese, seasonal coffee flavors or specialty vinegars and olive oil.
 
Keep a few of these baskets on hand and you will always have something for those unexpected occasions when you need a little gift.
A great way to use up small amounts of fabric as well.
 
I hope you will enjoy making these as much as I do.
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment: